Friday, December 24, 2004

Socks for Mom

[reposted from sock_knitters on Livejournal]

I had this yarn leftover from a baby sweater I made earlier this year -- it's Plymouth Encore worsted, in a multicolor and a coordinating solid. I've made my mother a pair of socks with it:



Here is the sock in it's entirety. I did a toe-up sock based on wendy's sock pattern and used K4, P4 for four rows then P4, K4 for four rows as the pattern.


A close-up of the toe - I used the provisional cast-on suggested in wendy's pattern - I prefer to start with the figure-eight and avoid all the short rows for the toes, but I also hate increasing on such tiny needles, so I guess it's just a choice of the lesser of two evils, really.


I wonder if it would be possible to do a provisional cast-on at the ball of the foot and knit the sock upward (I like to do it toe-up so I can make the socks as tall as I have yarn for), and then pick those stitches back up and work down to the toe so I can decrease and then seam with kitchener stitch? I'm not too familiar with the provisional cast-on but it seems like it might work, but I might give it a go one of these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home