Sunday, June 04, 2006

Katrina Rib: Finished!

Last night, I finally finished my Katrina Rib. I cast on for this on May 14th, and had a major exam on the 25th, so I am really pleased that I've finished so quickly. I am happy with how it's turned out; it still needs blocking but that has to wait until I get some heavy plastic to put under a towel. I've read about blocking using your carpet, but I worry about water soaking into the carpet pad so the woman at my LYS suggested I lay heavy plastic over the carpet and then a towel on top of that. I think I'll give it a shot!

Pattern: Cookie's Katrina Rib; size S/M

Yarn: Knitpick's Merino Style in Cinnamon; my yarn spreadsheet says I purchased 6 skeins but I remember thinking about adding one extra in case I decided to lengthen the sleeves; unfortunately, I can't recall, and I sent the packing slip back with a return. Either way, I did end up needing a small amount of the last skein for the sleeves. I love this colour, it's rich and warm and very lovely. The yarn is relatively soft but I do think I'll wear a light tank underneath.

Needles: unknown needle, unknown size. The woman at my LYS suggested that it's a Susan Bates Quicksilver circ, and it measures between a 5 and 6. It's a 29" needle so I used the magic loop method for the neck and arms, and was fine for the rest.

Modifications: I lengthened this by about 2". Really, I would have liked about another inch in length, but I also wanted to end on an evenly-spaced travel section (ie, 3x3 ribbing everywhere but the 2x2 portion in the center) and I was worried about the 2x2 rib travelling around my body. I also worked 5 rows at the sleeve instead of 2 prior to binding off.

Comments: I really enjoyed this pattern; it had just enough going on to keep it interesting and the 3x3 rib wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Because it's worked from the top down, there is NO seaming and very minimal finishing - a perfect project for a beginner! My stitches are a LITTLE uneven around the increases but I am going to play with this a little bit when I block it and hope they even out a bit. My only complaint is that I didn't realise it would accentuate my chest quite so much...



Front view; the travelling rib section in the middle is 2x2 the rest is 3x3.

Back view; you can see the small gaps on my left shoulder where my increases were a little bit loose.

2 Comments:

At Monday, June 05, 2006, Blogger Abigail said...

It is boobtastic, or should I say boobalicious? :)

It looks good on you though!

 
At Monday, June 05, 2006, Blogger Abigail B. said...

I'm just not used to having such a prominent chest ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home