Monday, October 16, 2006

Halloween Fun!

I have a bunch of leftover orange yarn (Cascade 220) after finishing Leif's longies, and I ran across this great pumpkin pattern from CurlyPurly. It is a really simple, basic pattern that is easily adaptable so I pulled out my sz 5 DPNs and got to work. This took me about an hour or so. I followed the pattern for the most part with a few modifications.

To start, I cast on 28 stitches and k3, kf&b for the first row. This set me up with the 35 stitches I needed to work the k4, p1 pattern. I worked this for 25 rows and then worked a decrease row - k3, k2tog. Then I pulled the end through the stitches and pulled tight. I stuffed with some wool scraps (and some absolutely luscious Rowan Cashsoft!) before feeding the tail through the cast on and pulling tight. Then I brought the tail through to the other side, pulled until it looked like a pumpkin, tied the two ends together and wove them in. I hope it stays put!

After that, I wove a tail of some green Galway Highland Heather through the top of the ball to create five "stitches". Then I picked up those stitches and worked some i-cord. C'est fini! Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At Monday, October 16, 2006, Blogger Abigail said...

That is too cute for words!

 
At Monday, October 16, 2006, Blogger Abigail B. said...

Thanks! It was so easy, too. I just made another one, stuffed with some catnip for my cat. He's loving it :)

Would you give Stefan something like this to play with? I'm not totally sure how baby-safe it is but I think my friend's son might like it.. he's about Stefan's age.

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Blogger Kristen said...

Ahaha, that is the cutest pumpkin! I was about to comment that I'm gonna make one for my cats for Hallowe'en, but you beat me to it.

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Anonymous stella said...

(hello! found you by way of live journal..)
i love your version of the pumpkin, and plan to make a few for some hallowe'en babies who have birthdays coming up - and a couple for my cats to maul... :) thanks for finding/posting that pattern!

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kristen and Stella! Welcome :)

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Blogger Abigail B. said...

(That anonymous comment was me - whoops!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home