Monday, March 19, 2007

Mason-Dixon Knitting Baby Kimono

Here's the MDK Baby Kimono, in a gorgeous yarn from my IrishBabyKnits Yarn of the Month club subscription. The colorway is Shirlie, I am completely blanking on the yarn though - I think it may be "Gretel", a wool/alpaca blend. I really love the yarn but of course I only get one skein of it so sometimes it can be tricky to decide what to do with it! The pattern calls for garter stitch originally but I went with stockinette because I thought garter would be too busy with this colorway.

I haven't sewn the seams yet, I'm still deciding whether this is the right pattern for the yarn or not! I am a little weirded out by the sizing but I hope once I seam it, it will look right. I remember reading somewhere that for baby sweaters the arms should be as long as the body, which is just about right as you can see here.

This was originally intended for a coworker's baby shower. She doesn't know yet if it is a boy or a girl, and I thought the blue/green colors would be gender neutral enough - but I have had several people tell me that the wrap style is "girlie", so now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. We'll see :) Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At Sunday, March 25, 2007, Blogger Abigail said...

Very cute so far!

I don't think the wrap style is girlie on a newborn. It's just so practical for a tiny baby with a floppy neck!

Then again, I might not be the right person to judge this since people often thing my boys are girls because I dress them in a color other than navy blue or grey.

 
At Saturday, March 31, 2007, Blogger greenmama said...

What a beautiful kimono! And what a thoughtful and practical gift! I will have to look up that pattern :)

I have seen kimono patterns for both girls and boys. Louisa Harding's pattern (in Natural Knits for Babies and Moms) includes a picot edging for the girl version.

Of course, you would want your gift to be used and loved, so . . . that's a tough question! Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home