Saturday, April 28, 2007

Swatching for Vanilla Spice

Knitty's spring surprises are out and I am really liking a couple of them. First up is Vanilla Spice, a cute cardigan with a subtle "seed" stitch pattern. It's not quite seed stitch but close. I have been hauling around 6 skeins of Artful Yarns Fable in The Boy Who Cried Wolf (aka color 96) for the last three years and this year decided to actually use it. I saw this pattern and thought - hey, why not? I swatched and the unblocked measurements were pretty close...
...so I did a quick rinse/wring (note to self: this yarn doesn't really like being wrung out) and block, and re-measured. I'm close to spot on with the gauge so I'm going to go for it! The photo makes the swatch look really unevenly blocked but it isn't, I promise! It's also not dry yet :)
The colors are not accurate at all in this photo but you can tell how it is a 4-ply yarn, with each ply a different color. It's got a light blue (periwinkle), a lavender, and two shades of a kind of moss green. Very pretty!

I am going to try to add some waist shaping and I am undecided on whether to leave the pockets or not. I'm also not sure which size to cast on just yet - it'll either be Small or Medium according to the measurements, and since I can't conceive of being a size small I think I will go with the Medium. That means I don't have much extra in the way of yarn, and I have this idea that I would like a tiny bit extra length-wise, so ditching the pockets will give me a little bit more room for error with yarn quantity.
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At Saturday, April 28, 2007, Blogger Abigail said...

I think this must be sized pretty generously because I'm considering a smaller size than I expected as well. I'll be curious to see what your experience is with the sizing.

I like your yarn, it's very pretty! Hopefully I'll join you soon. I have a couple other projects to finish first. :)

 
At Tuesday, May 01, 2007, Blogger Patti said...

It's going to be gorgeous!

 
At Tuesday, May 01, 2007, Blogger Kathleen said...

A little off topic for your blog, but I just read your post on the RSC-KAL. My husbands Aunt Nancy has diabetes. The only socks she can wear are made of 100% cotton and white. Aunt Nancy gets sores on her feet because of the diabetes and they could become infected with dyes and colorings. I believe the cotton is less linty and absorbs better than other fibers. Organic cotton would be even better as there would be no irratating chemicals.

 
At Tuesday, May 01, 2007, Blogger maryse said...

what kathleen said. i also saw your post on RSC blog and was too lazy to go find my username and password to post a comment. i was going to suggest that you do a google search or perhaps go to the American Diabetes Association site and see what they say.

what kathleen says though makes perfect sense

 

Post a Comment

<< Home