Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Knucks


These photos are not great, I apologise. I've also since finished this half of the pair, but have not taken more photos. I'm not sure I'll leave it as-is, but we'll see. This is my version of Knucks, which was written by Pamela, who goes to my knitting group. It's an interesting pattern; top-down fingerless gloves. I made a slight modification, which was to work a decrease at each edge just after the end of the thumb gusset, because I have skinny wrists. I'm thinking I still don't quite like it and in fact I think I may make the whole thing a bit smaller. I worked the cuff in seed stitch, because the textured stitch that Pam suggested was killing my wrist to work, and ribbing didn't seem fitting, but I think I need to find something stretchier that will pull in a bit more. I'm also contemplating making the cuff longer.

The yarn is luscious. I am using the Rowan Felted Tweed recommended by the pattern, in "Midnight" (color 188 - dye lot R0133). This photo does not do it justice - it's rich and deep and looks like a starry night sky. Beautiful. It's also incredibly lightweight and soft. To be honest, I would never have made these based on the pattern, but I had a chance to try on a pair Pam made at the knitting group and the combination of yarn and fit won me over. I have been toying with full-length gloves, too, but we'll see.

Now, so I can throw the ball band away, the yarn is 50% merino wool, 25% alpaca and 25% viscose/rayon. A 50g ball has approx 175m/191yds and it can be machine washed in a warm, gentle wool cycle. Suggested gauge is 22-24 sts/30-32 rows over 10cm/4in with US 5-6 needles.

I worked these on sz 4's I believe. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 29, 2006, Blogger Abigail said...

Pretty! What are you going to embroider on them? :)

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2006, Blogger Abigail B. said...

I haven't decided - I love the pair with trees all over them but I am not nearly that talented :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home