Sunday, May 06, 2007

Vanilla Spice: Body

The body of my Vanilla Spice cardigan is now finished. I am happy with it. This is a medium, although I stretched it a tiny bit so it is longer and not quite as wide. I think it is 39" total not 41". It is hard to tell exactly without buttons. I am not sure what kind of buttons to get. Something to break it up a little bit but not too busy.

I think the length is good. I do wish I had done waist shaping and bust shaping. I may make this again but I would add these modifications. The fabric is really nice though. Soft and squishable.

It is very blendy - I really need to pick buttons that make the front panel "pop". I'm also not 100% in love with the ribbed edging. I think I will like it after blocking but I have a devil of a time keeping my slipped stitch edge nice and tight so I will have to fiddle with it a little bit.

You can just barely make out the seams along the shoulder. The pattern mentions that they are set back just slightly from the top of the shoulder and you can tell that here. I'm not sure why the pattern is written that way - maybe just to keep you from having to work a little bit longer straps on the back? I contemplated grafting instead of the 3-needle bind off but in the end decided it probably needs the 3-needle bind off for structural integrity. We shall see.
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At Sunday, May 06, 2007, Blogger Abigail said...

Look at you, zooming along! It looks great so far.

Do you think you could actually add bust shaping with the stitch pattern? I'd really like to add it to mine but I haven't read through the pattern yet to see if it's possible.

 
At Monday, May 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abigail,
I think you can add bust shaping in pattern as long as you do it in increments of 8 rows (since it's an 8-row stitch pattern). At my gauge (7 rows/inch) that's just over an inch per increment, at the pattern gauge it's 1.25". That would be nearer to the middle of the sweater - the pattern could remain consistent there. Closer to the armhole you would have some discontinuity but if anyone's looking that closely at my armhole, well... they deserve it?

I'm not positive it would work and I wasn't willing to try, but I *think* it would work.

 
At Thursday, May 10, 2007, Blogger Megan said...

I think it would look nice with some metal Celtic knot style buttons.

 
At Thursday, May 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan, that is a great idea. I saw someone else's cardigan on a forum and she used silver metal buttons and they looked great.

 
At Thursday, May 10, 2007, Blogger Patti said...

You are flyin'!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home