Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Striped Baby Cardigan

I'm working on making a striped baby cardigan. The yarn is Knitpick's Shine Sport, held doubled, and I have river (a nice bright-ish blue, but not neon by any means), cherry (a BRIGHT red, ever-so-slightly-pink but overall just a bright red) and cabin, a four-ply with a strand each of river, cherry, a light blue and a goldenrod type color. Photos are here, if you are interested.

The way I want to stripe it is as follows:


The cardigan is going to be about 7" long from hem to underarm and then another ~4 inches from there. The striping pattern I was planning was 4" of blue, 1" of the variegated, 2" of the red (this brings it to the underarm), 1" of variegated and 3" of blue to finish it off. I have begun this, though, and I'm worried that it is just Too Much Red, and somewhat too much of the variegated all in one bit. However, I don't think I have enough blue yarn to do 5" of blue, 1/2" (or 3/4") of variegated, then 1.5 (or 1.25") of red, then 1/2" (or 3/4") of variegated, then 3.5" (or 3.25") of blue.

I'm therefore thinking about keeping the 4" blue bottom edge and 3" blue top edge, and alternating variegated-red-variegated-red-variegated for the middle section. I'm not sure this will help though.

Any thoughts? Any pictures of similarly-striped infant/toddler sweaters/cardis so I can get an idea of proportions? Any leftover skeins of river?

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if you did like 1/2"-1" blue right in the middle of the red, taking it away from top or bottom stripes. I'm thinking it might work, although I'm far too visual a person to fully get a hold of it without seeing one of your diagrams. :)

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006, Blogger Abigail B. said...

That could work! Or maybe vari-red-vari-blue-vari-red-vari. I'm a bit worried about how much blue yarn I have, but I tend to over-worry about yardage so I will probably be fine.

I think I'm going to start on the sleeves - work the 3.5-4" of blue for the sleeves (I am not quite sure how long the sleeves should end up being..) and see how much blue I have left. I like your idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home